Leader: Steve Hook Distance: 11.6 miles
Never believe weather forecasts!!!!
5 of us set off from the Bandstand in fine weather, leaving the rain behind in Darlo. Along the Cleveland Way we went for 3.5 miles to Skinningrove. We past the Mortuary, in use until the mid 1900’s and the H Q of “King of the Smugglers” John Andrews at the Ship Inn.
Up onto Hunt Cliff past the site of the Roman Signal Station and the sculpture reflecting upon the different aspects of life in East Cleveland. Once at Skinningrove we turned inland past Tom Leonard’s Mining Museum, a drift mine (closed in 1958) the 3rd largest in the area and onto Cleveland Street, an ancient trod between Guisboro’ Priory and Whitby Abbey. Lunch was taken outdoors on the relics of Lumpsey Iron mine then onwards thru’ North Skelton/Skelton Green and Skelton. After that it was thru’ Crow Wood past the remains of Marske Mill in Skelton Beck, under Saltburn Viaduct and into the Italian Gardens. It was here that hailstones fell upon us for 10 minutes. The only wetness throughout the day.
A good day was had by all. Thank you,