Leader : Elaine Anderson. Distance : 9 miles
Left click route & profile to enlarge
Elaine reports :-
25 walkers set off in the sunshine for a figure of eight walk around the pretty village of Snape.
A pretty and also interesting village, Snape has a castle which was built in the 15th Century by the powerful Neville family, Earls of Westmorland, who owned it until 1798. Katherine Parr, Henry VIII’s last wife lived at the castle during her marriage to John Neville. Though the castle is not open to the public, the small chapel within the grounds of the old castle ruins, is.
The Chapel of St Mary is attached to Snape Castle and both were built in the early 15th century. The chapel was renovated in 1720 and then by the late 18th century it fell into disuse and was used as a grain store, but was restored in 1874. The castle and chapel were once owned by Richard III. Services are still held in the chapel.
Lunch was enjoyed in Well. An ancient settlement. The remains of a Roman villa and bath house were discovered in the village in the 19th century and a large section of fine Roman mosaic floor can be seen in the historic Church of St Michael the Archangel. There has been a church on this site since pre-conquest times although the present church dates mostly from 12th century.
The church also houses the fine alabaster tomb of Sir John Neville of Snape castle who died in 1577. (graffiti on the tomb dates back to 1618).
With views over to the White horse and Roseberry Topping on a fine day, Well, has a number of walks from its vicinity.
Post walk drink was enjoyed in The Black Swan, Bedale as sadly The Castle Arms Inn in Snape was closed by the end of our walk.
Another reason to go back to this pretty village another day………